These two volumes are a brand new edition (not a facsimile) of volumes five and six of Whitefield's Works last published in 1771-1772, plus some extra material and the added value of extensive footnotes giving historical and theological background.
"George Whitefield is surely the greatest of all British preachers. These transcriptions of some of Whitefield's sermons inevitably conceal much of his genius, but they do convey a sense of the power, simplicity and vivid impact of his message which God used to such remarkable effect in the 18th Century. This collection and Lee Gatiss' excellent introduction will inspire today's preachers and prompt us to follow the example of this great and godly man."
Vaughan Roberts, Rector of St. Ebbe's, Oxford and President of the Proclamation Trust.
‘In a time of much confusion about what counts as true Anglican theology, the Reformed Evangelical Anglican Library is a great gift, both to remind, to resource and, perhaps too, to rebuke today’s Anglicans. It is an especial joy to commend this edition of Whitefield’s sermons, which provides such a readable and accessible text of Whitefield. May it spur us on in our time to proclaim Jesus Christ as passionately as Whitefield did, and with a similar biblical faithfulness.’
Dr. Michael Ovey, Principal of Oak Hill Theological College, London.
The publishers have done Anglican Evangelicals (and many others) a great service in bringing these wonderful sermons by George Whitefield back into easily accessible form. Lee Gatiss’s excellent and comprehensive Introduction gives a clear way in to grasping the salient features of Whitefield’s life and convictions, and of his relationship to classic Protestant Anglicanism. All those who want urgently to reconnect the contemporary Church of England with its evangelical heritage will be nourished and encouraged by this volume, and no doubt by subsequent volumes in this Series.
Christopher Ash, Director of the Cornhill Training Course, London
... continued from Volume 1
31. The Care of the Soul Urged as the One Thing Needful (Luke 10:42)
32. A Penitent Heart, the Best New Year’s Gift. (Luke 13:3)
33. The Gospel Supper. (Luke 14:22-24)
34. The Pharisee and the Publican. (Luke 18:14)
35. The Conversion of Zaccheus. (Luke 19:9-10)
36. The Marriage of Cana. (John 2:11)
37. The Duty of Searching the Scriptures. (John 5:39)
38. The Indwelling of the Spirit, the Common Privilege of all Believers. (John 7:37-39)
39. The Resurrection of Lazarus. (John 11:43-44)
40. The Holy Spirit Convincing the World of Sin, Righteousness and Judgment. (John 16:8)
41. Saul’s Conversion. (Acts 9:22)
42. Marks of Having Received the Holy Ghost. (Acts 19:2)
43. The Almost Christian. (Acts 26:28)
44. Christ, the Believer’s Wisdom, Righteousness, Sanctification and Redemption. (1 Cor. 1:30)
45. The Knowledge of Jesus Christ the Best Knowledge. (1 Cor. 2:2)
46. Of Justification by Christ. (1 Cor. 6:11)
47. The Great Duty of Charity Recommended. (1 Cor. 13:8)
48. Satan’s Devices. (1 Cor. 2:11)
49. On Regeneration. (2 Cor. 5:17)
50. Christians, Temples of the Living God. (2 Cor. 6:16)
51. Christ the Only Preservative against a Reprobate Spirit. (2 Cor. 13:5)
52. The Heinous Sin of Drunkenness. (Ephesians 5:18)
53. The Power of Christ’s Resurrection. (Phil. 3:10)
54. Intercession Every Christian’s Duty. (1 Thess. 5:25)
55. Persecution Every Christian’s Lot. (2 Tim. 3:12)
56. An Exhortation to the People of God Not to Be Discouraged in Their Way, by the Scoffs and Contempt of Wicked Men. (Hebrews 4:9)
57. The Day of Small Things (Zechariah 4:10)
58. Peter’s Denial of his Lord (Matthew 26:75)
59. The True Way of Beholding the Lamb of God (John 1:35-36)
60. The Method of Grace (Jeremiah 6:14)
61. The Good Shepherd (John 10:27-28)
Further information about George Whitefield on this website, including links to articles and a short biography by David Streater.