Using funds from the will of a Samuel Bowly, an indenture dated 29th September 1884 (the ‘Mission Trust Deed’) provided for the purchase by private trustees of a warehouse with cottage and adjoining offices (in Llanthony Road, and formerly occupied for many years by Messieurs Bowly & Co.) for holding mission services in connection with the Gloucester Mariners Chapel. It also provided for the trustees, with the consent in writing of the Chaplain for the time being of the Mariners Chapel, to sell heridaments conveyed, or parts thereof, and use the funds in trust for the purposes of the mission, or general purposes, of the Mariners Chapel. An epitome of Trusts covering the Mariners’ Chapel, dated 1903, includes the Mission Hall and adjoining properties and confirms that they are held in trust (the trustees being four named individuals) for the purpose of the Mission services held in connection with the Chapel, and that they may be sold (with the consent of the Chaplain for the time being) with the proceeds applied for the purposes of the Mission or for the general purposes of the Chapel.
By a Deed of Appointment, dated 3rd June 1939, Church Association Trust became a Trustee of Trusts ancillary to the Mariners Chapel, Gloucester, including of the Mission Trust Deed. (Church Association Trust was renamed in 1950 to Church Society Trust).
On 16th December 1996 the Charity Commissioners approved a scheme, which made Church Society the trustees of ‘Charities in connection with the Gloucester Mariners Hall’ (among others). This included title to land.
Church Society as Trustee continues to hold title to the freehold premises known as Mariners’ Hall and Nos 1 & 1a Llanthony Road. In 1983 they were leased for 30 years to the Stonham Housing Association. However with effect from 6th August 2008, the lease was assigned by Home Group Ltd (Stonham) to GEAR (Gloucester Emergency Accommodation Resource), which has been using the premises as a night shelter.
1884 Indenture (Mission Trust Deed)
1902 Epitome of Trusts, Mariners’ Chapel Gloucester
1939 Deed of Appointment of the Church Association Trust as Trustees
1996 Charity Commissioners Scheme